Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Glitz and Glitter

Don't you love it when you learn something new. This morning Gina has a new tutorial on StampTV on how to glitter up an image and not have glitter everywhere. She uses a Gelly Roll Startdust (glitter) pen. I have one of these pens but have not used it because I didn't think to use it over colored items. How pretty this looks. I had to take my picture at an angle so you could see the glitter. Do you see it on there?

For her challenge today, you are to use this technique and glitter your entire main image. I used Gina's "Tropical Windows" set which is a free set when you purchase three. I chose this flower image from the set because I thought it goes so well with the card stock and designer paper that is in the "Signs of Autumn" Showtime kit that just came out on StampTV.

I used the Nestabilities "Labels Four" and "Large Labels" to create the frame. I layered them together on the card stock at the same time then cut them out. Since this is a solid stamp, I used Memento Dew Drop Cantaloupe and Potter's Clay ink pads on the flower and New Sprout and Bamboo Leaves on the leaves and stem. It is easy to do this with the Dew Drop pads because they have a sharp point at one end which allows you to tap the ink into small areas. I purchased these ink pads from the Gina K store. After I had all the ink on the stamp, I spritzed it with water to blend the colors then stamped it on Ivory card stock. After I made sure the design was dry, I used the Stardust pen to give it the glitz and glitter look. On the leaves, instead of coloring the entire leaf, I drew in veins. I cut the flower out to fit under the frame and used dimensional tape to mount it. I forgot to mention that before I mounted the design under the frame, I use a sponge dauber to add Cantaloupe ink around the design.

On each end of the frame, I added a corduroy brad, from SU. The border under the frame was cut on So Saffron card stock using a Martha Stewart punch. The verse is from the Tropical Windows stamp set. I cut it out with Nestabilities tag but couldn't figure out how to layer a tag so I liked it. I decided to cut off the end with the hole and just mount it in the center without a brad.

I used the beautiful green card stock, also from the Signs of Autumn stamp kit and embossed the top piece with the new Cuttlebug Victoria embossing folder. I think this design goes so well with this pretty flower. I used one of the new Cuttlebug border embossing folders for the trim on the bottom of the card. I purchased these embossing folders from Joan's Gardens.

I'm off now to upload my card to Gina's challenge. Be sure to check the challenges out on StampTV. Each time you submit a card to a challenge, you are eligible to win any Gina K stamp set valued up to $24.95.

Have a wonderful day.


5 comments:

The Other Patti Sue said...

Very pretty! Can't wait to try that technique!

Dianna said...

Selma,

I love this card, and the colors are so soft and delicate. The glitter technique is so pretty and you did such a good job. I love the texture on the brads that you used, and the DP is perfect. I love the picture of Shani that you added to your blog. She is so darn cute, and your lucky to have such a sweet little stamping partner.

Dianna

Stacey said...

I think your card is very beautiful. I can't wait to get one of those pens so I can add glitter that way. I think it really makes the design pop and it sure is a whole lot cleaner to do it that way. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jennie said...

Selma this is gorgeous! Love the way you sed the glitter :o) Great design!

Kym Weber said...

Wow, Selma! Beautiful! Love the fall colors you choose to use.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails