Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Joan's Weekly Challenge - Think Outside the Box


We have a fun challenge for you this week at Joan's Gardens.  We want to see different ways you can use your stamps and dies to create any Autumn/Thanksgiving item other than a card.  Many times we don't think out of the box and to use our stamping products for things other than cards.  Joan and I have created a few items to give you some ideas. 

For this week's challenge I have completed two projects.  My first one is a pretty candle ring for a candle centerpiece.

I started out by die cutting a doily using rust card stock and the Marianne Designs "LR0180" large plain doily die.  This doily has a solid center for my candle to sit on.  Next I cut a band out of a "fall" design paper to go around the bottom of the candle.  To this band I added my fall arrangement.  The leaves were die cut using the Sizzix "Mini Tattered Leaves" die.  I used a new Sizzix die I just received from Joan's Gardens that makes pinecones.  This die is called "Tattered Pinecones" and is a die cut spiral that shapes very quickly into a pretty pinecone.


Can you see the pine cones tucked into the leaves in this picture?  Also this die has a pine branch which i die cut using brown card stock.  You can also use this portion of the die to create green  "evergreen" branches.  I wanted to add some small flowers to my arrangement so stamped and die cut Heartfelt Creations "Posy Patch Flowers" (HCPC 3303).  I used that Cheery Lynn "Mega Italian Flourish" (DL159) doily under the centerpiece. These mega doilies are just beautiful for things like this.  To complete this centerpiece I added a pretty bow.


My next project is a box created for a loaf of pumpkin bread I baked for one of my neighbors.  

To create the bottom of the box, I drew a line around the loaf of bread (on the card stock), and added one inch for the sides of the box.  For the handle I die cut 4 of the Cheery Lynn "Tiffany Border" (B137).  These dies are 8 inches long and I needed 11 inches so just pieced them together.  The handle was attached with ScorTape along the bottom edge of the box.  The pumpkin was die cut using the Sizzix "Mini Acorn and Pumpkin" die cut set.  The leaves are from the Sizzix "Mini Tattered Leaves" dies.  The flourishes were created with the Marianne Designs "Forest Branch" (LR0150).   On the handle and sides of the box I added two Spellbinders Accents.   A Spellbinders Tag was cut, sponged and a small brad put in the hole then attached to the handle with a dimensional dot.  A bow was added to the top.  A loaf of pumpkin bread, wrapped in clear wrap, and placed in the box.

Joan and I are anxious to see what creative items you can come up with for this week's challenge.  Be sure to added your photos to the link at Joan's Gardens.  A random drawing will be held and one of you will receive a nice prize from Joan's Gardens.  There are not many weeks left to get entries in for the challenges this year.  Remember, someone will receive a $100 Gift Certificate to  Joan's Gardens at the end of the year.

352555

9 comments:

Glenda said...

Looks like a lot of work, but so worth it! Both are gorgeous, but I really love the candle ring! Amazingly creative!

Rita said...

I really love your candle Idea Selma. Its Stunning. The basket would make a lovely gift too with sweets in it. Hugs Rita xx

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Stunning projects Selma! The centerpiece is gorgeous!

craftieodmae said...

absolutley gorgeous, love the candle!!!!! Well I love the box too but the candle is my fav!!!!

Colleen said...

Selma,
Your creations are beautiful as always. Maybe I'll give one a try.

scrappingnana said...

Beautiful projects. I love the gorgeous candle centerpiece. It looks like a lot of work but turned out beautifully. Very creative. TFS

Lynne said...

Selma, your work is amazing ans so creative. The candle ring is beautiful but I will try the box first. What great hostess gifts or change the season and make them for Christmas!

Donna said...

Gorgeous projects Selma. This will be my very first year cooking for Thanksgiving. We decided to stay home and have just our kids and significant others for dinner so I will need a centerpiece. My mind is already churning with ideas. Thanks for the inspiration and the fun challenge!

The Other Patti Sue said...

Your candle and box are totally awesome! You've inspired me once again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails