Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pink Peony


Today I am not feel real great so decided to sit down and just start playing with punches and dies to see what I could come up with.  I ended up having a lot of fun creating this card.  I had the Punch Bunch "Super Giant Begonia Petals" punch on my desk and thought I would see if I could make a peony flower.  I'll let you be the judge on whether or not this looks like a peony.  I always get very happy when my peony bushes flower out because they are such a large beautiful flower.  I made about seven layers to build the flower, like I have taught you in my tutorials.  To get it even fuller, I added glue to some of the single "conditioned" petals and just poked them down in between the layers to get the fullness I wanted.  I know it isn't perfect but I was happy with it.  I also wanted to tell you that today I used the DG3 Art Gel for my adhesive and loved it.  It dies quickly and was very easy to work with. 

For the background, which is hard to see now, I embossed white card stock with the Cuttlebug "Kassie's Brocade" embossing folder.  This is a 5"x7" card.  Along the bottom edge, I added a portion of the Heartfelt Creations "Decorative Lace Border" die cut (HCD 713).  The peony is layered over two die cut leaves from the Cheery Lynn "Tropical Leaves" (B119) leaf set.  Under those leaves I attached the Memory Box "Quinn Flourish" (98267).  

The birdcage is the Poppy Stamps "Carousel Bird Cage" (800) and the bird is the Memory Box "Perched Reed Bird" (98160).  Up in the left corner and on top of the bird cage, I added flowers created with the Memory Box "Scalloped Posie" (98269) and the Pinwheel Posie" (98270).    These are little flowers that once die cut, you roll to shape them.  Very quick and easy!  These small flowers are a light pink but for some reason they look peach to me in the photo.  The two flowers on the birdcage were made the same way, but to give them a slightly different look, I kind of "smashed" them in and they look more like a vintage rose.  Love that you can get more than one look with these die cut flowers.  The green under the little posies on the left is the die cut Memory Box "Madera Corner" (98237).  The green leaves under the roses on the bird cage are small pieces from the Cheery Lynn "Pair of Ferns" (B118).  I had a little blank space above the peony so glued in a white feather.  

Here is another view of the peony.  Looks fuller from this angle, doesn't it.


I know a lot of you have ordered this Super Giant Begonia Petals punch from Joan's Gardens and I hope this gives you another idea for using it.  For those of you who have this punch, have you created other flowers besides a rose?  I 'd love to hear what else you  have created with it.   Joan does have a supply of these punches in stock if you haven't ordered one yet.

Looks like some warmer weather has arrived, so I am going outside to enjoy the fresh air.  Have a great day.

All the products I use can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.

435138

18 comments:

Joan Fricker said...

Beautiful Selma! The flower looks like a peony before it opens. One of my very favorite flowers. I have some beautiful plants from my Mom's garden, so they are very special to me. Great job. I love all the details you used and that bird cage is perfect for this card.
Love it!

Joan
www.atjoansgardens.com

The Other Patti Sue said...

Wowzers Selma! This is stunning!

Nan G said...

Oh my a beautiful peony for sure. My first attempt at a rose turned out as a peony. Just need to attach the center and work a card around it. Will probably use it for this week's Joan's challenge.

CraftinGranny said...

It's a beautiful flower Selma and your card is gorgeous. "Hugs"

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous card Selma, love the flowers and birdcage, so pretty.
Hope you feel better soon...

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sheila - Ginger said...

Oh it's a perfect peony Selma and reminds me of the ones that used to be in my late parent's garden when I was a child. The complete card is another stunner!

Love Sheila xx

Glenda said...

Beautiful card! It does look like a peony! I also love the bird cage!

Marie-Louise said...

Beautiful card and an absolutely marvellous flower.

A Consuming Passion said...

This is just stunning Selma!!!

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

Selma- This is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

hey selna ur idea is amazing n beautiful . i have used the begonu\ia punch for rose u taught on ur blog. thanks for that. i simply love all ur card design.
Amisha

Betty Benton said...

Gorgeous flower, Selma and a cute little bird to admire it!!

Memaw said...

Beautiful as always -love your inspiration.

Edilza Teixeira Scrap e Artes said...

Oi Selma !!!

Fico cada dia encantada com seu trabalho. Acho seus cartões belíssimos e criativos.

Beijos

Neesey said...

Wow, that is amazing! So beautiful. Yes, the Peony plants do grow well here, and I have two in my yard that are just like yours. The most yummy pink!

Payne Holler Cards said...

double thud! haven't been able to visit blogs until this morning, but have enjoyed all your posts!
have that punch and just need to use it!!!

Brenda said...

Wow Selma your card is so gorgeous!!! and those flowers are stunning. Fabulous card as always!

Becky said...

Beautiful card....love the flower! BTW, did Joan have a winner for last week's challenge? I can't find it on her blog and she was supposed to give one of the Punch a Bunch punches. Just curious....Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails