Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Joan's Gardens Weekly Challenge


This week the challenge at Joan's Gardens is a fun shaped card.  We would like for you to create a "Tri-Shutter Card".  The basic card requires a piece of card stock 5 1/2" x 12".  You will need to score down from the long side at 2", 4", 8" and 10".  Next you can either use your paper cutter or a craft knife and cut from the 2" score line down to the 10" score line either 1 1/4" or  1 1/2" from the edge of the card stock, on both sides.  You then will fold on the score lines; first do a mountain fold, then a valley fold,  then a mountain fold and end with a valley fold.  You then need to reverse the folds on the center section so it will fold out differently. You can see how it will look in the pictures below.   If I haven't made this clear for you, you can go over to SCS and see a written tutorial plus there is a video to show you how to create this type of card.  The challenge will be to create a Tri-Shutter Card; use more than one design paper; something dimensional; and ribbon.  Be sure to go over to Joan's blog to see all the details.

 You can see the mountain and valley folds then the center section must be folded the opposite direction.
This is how your card will look when looking at it from the top to the bottom.  It is a very fun and easy card to create.  The hardest part might be figuring out the folds.

When this card is closed, it measure 4" x 5.5".  The design papers I used are from the  (older) Graphic 45 "The Magic of Oz" pad and the Basic Grey "Capella" Paper Pad.  I created the "Poppy" with the PunchBunch "Begonia Petals" punch.  The stamen was created with the "Large Sky Flake" and "Small Blossom" punches.  The leaf is the Cheery Lynn "Small Leaves #1" (D133).  The fern is the PunchBunch "Medium Fern".  Under the flower are the Spellbinders "Persian Accent" and the Memory Box "Quinn Flourish (98267).  Over the design paper is a piece of Websters Pages Trim.  

On the inside of the card I die cut one of the Cheery Lynn 'Horizon Coved Rectangle Mega Doily" (DL193).  On the right side of it I attached a Memory Box "Willow Dragonfly" (98319).  Another piece of Webster's Pages trim was attached to the right side of the card with ScorTape.  


12 comments:

CraftinGranny said...

This is gorgeous Selma. Love the beautiful flower, the DP, and the elegance of this card. This is one fold I haven't tried and always wanted to do. Thanks for the tutorial and link to SCS. Have a Blessed and Happy Easter! "Hugs"

Sheila - Ginger said...

Such a gorgeous card Selma and such pretty colours...love the pippy and I must have a go at this fold...tried it a couple of times but it just didn't work for me but having seen yours I will have another go.

Love Sheila xx

Anneke klerks said...

very pretty card!!!
liefs anneke

Glenda said...

The first one of these I made, I wore out the cardstock trying to fold! Hmmmmm...wonder how I'd do now? Your flower is so pretty and I love your papers!

Rita said...

Gorgeous card Selma. Have a lovely Easter. Hugs Rita xx

Indira Tanwar said...

Very lovely card. I love your flowers.

Cheers,
Indira - Mumbai, India
http://arty-sorts.blogspot.in/

Colleen said...

Selma,
I just might have to try this one if I get the time. I've never done one and yours looks fantastic.

Donna said...

Very pretty Selma! Love your colors.

Pssequimages said...

That measurement for cutting should be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2, not 1/4 and 1/2. Love the example Selma, thank you for this fun project.

The Other Patti Sue said...

Absolutely stunning! I love tri folds... I've not made one for a very long time! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sadie said...

This is an absolutely beautiful card Selma! It's all coordinated so pretty. Very inspiring but I'm still not sure if I want to attempt it.

Anonymous said...

wow...what a beautiful card,what an amazing idea...i simply loved it..great work selma n thanks for amazing tutorials

Amisha

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails