Saturday, May 18, 2013

Susan's Garden Rose - My Tutorial


Today I want to continue with my tutorials for creating flowers with the new dies from Sizzix.  This is  a rose created with the  "Susan's Garden" Rose dies.  There are instructions in the package of dies. There is never a wrong way to create a flower because they are all beautiful.  I love all the different techniques and little things you can do with dies to create slightly different looks.   Susan's roses are gorgeous, but I will share my techniques, which are a little different,  with you below.  

TUTORIAL FOR CREATING A ROSE with Susan's Garden Dies


The dies used for this flower were die cut using the Sizzix, Susan's Garden "Rose" dies (#658411).  I start by die cutting a lot of petals.  This picture shows the number I started with for this rose.  I used 80# vanilla card stock for the rose petals.  I wanted a cream colored rose, with some light pink at the base of each petal.  I sponged on "Spun Sugar" Distress Ink to do this.  Then since most roses have yellow at the very base, I added "Squeezed Lemonade" Distress Ink at the very base.   I know this is a little time consuming, but I think it is worth the time to create a very realistic colored rose.

The next important thing is to shape the petals.  I use the Sizzix Tool Kit (658437) which includes all the tools and mats you will need for creating your flowers.  I used the largest ball stylus to soften the fibers in the card stock and "cup" it to resemble a petal.

Once all the petals are shaped, use the self-closing tweezers to pinch at the stem end to give the petal even more shape.  Close the tweezers and pinch the sides of the petal up to the tweezers.  It makes the top portion of the petal bend back.  I learned these techniques from the "Paper Bouquet" book by Susan Tierney Cockburn.

Once all the petals are shaped, start creating the layers for the rose.  I usually create three or four layers to create a "full" bloom rose.  Here you can see three layers, the center of the rose, plus some extra petals to tuck in case I decide I want more fullness.  

Each layer for my roses, usually has a different number of petals. For the lower layer of petals,  condition them on the back so they cup "under".  This picture shows the top (third) layer  and is conditioned on the top of the petals so so it "cups" up to form around the center of the rose.  For this center piece, I added four petals to the base,  then went back and glued in four more petals in between the first petals (alternating petals).

Here you can see what it looks like when you alternate the petals.  By the way, I should mention that I use "Crafter's Pick" white glue because it is a fast drying glue and works really well for creating your flowers.

I create the center for my rose differently than Susan.  I use five of the "center" die cut petals which are shaped very different. I add glue to the inside of one petal and twist it around the tweezers, holding a couple of seconds until it "catches".  Keep adding these same style petals, alternating them around so you create a realistic looking center.   

Here is a picture of all five center petals glued together to form the center of the rose.  You can create your rose buds this same way.

Now all my flower layers are dry and I can start shaping them more.  Put them on the shaping mat and press down in the center with the largest stylus so that it starts "cupping".  Do this to all layers.  You need to do this after the glue has at least almost dried so it will hold its shape.  

Do this with the section that is the top "cupped up" layer too.  It will help pull those petals together to form around the very center of the rose.

Starting with the bottom layer, glue the layers together alternating the petals.  On that top (third) layer, I add a lot of glue around the base so it adheres to the layer below it to help "cup" the petals.  Place it in the center of the bottom layers, then use the largest stylus to press down firmly in the very center to help it adhere well.  Next you will want to add the very center "bud" that you created.  Add plenty of glue to the bottom of the "bud" portion and place it right in the center.  You might need to hold it for a few seconds to get it to attach.  Watch it as it dries and make sure it is sitting real straight in the center so your rose won't look crooked.
  
Your rose will probably look something like this.  I think it needs some more shaping, don't you!   You can glue the tips of some of those left over petals and stick them in around the bottom of the "cupped" area if you want.  That is what I did for a little more fullness.  Sometimes it is helpful to clip off the very bottom of these petals so they nestle down below that center section.  

Here is a tool I discovered some time ago that really helps to shape the edges of the petals.  They are round nosed pliers and do not leave a crease like the tweezers when you roll the edges of the petals.  You can order this tool from Joan's Gardens.  I like to wait until my rose is completely dry before I start shaping it so that the layers don't start twisting.    There is a big difference in the rose above and this one, isn't there. 

In Susan's  Rose dies, there are also leaves and the pieces to create a beautiful rose bud.  I have created a rose bud and shaped the green base that will go around it. 
  
This is a picture of the completed bud.  You can also create larger buds as shown in Susan's video.

The rose I created today would be beautiful on a box or on a frame.  You can also use these dies to create smaller roses by not using that lower (largest) set of petals.  

I would love to hear from you to see if you find these tutorials helpful.  It does take a lot of time to create them, and I will continue to do more tutorials if I know they are helpful to you. If you do like the tutorials, which flower would you like to have a tutorial on next?  Here is the link to my "Lily" tutorial.   Anxious to hear your comments.


Products used:

Sizzix "Susan's Garden" Rose   658411
Sizzix "Tool Kit"   658437
Paper Bouquet book by Susan Tierney Cockburn 
Crafter's Pick Glue
Distress Inks
Round Nose Pliers

944505

23 comments:

Ульяна и Полина said...

Волшебно!!!

Rita said...

What a fabulous Rose, Selma. It looks so real too. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs Rita xxxxxx

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Leanne ... said...

Another great tutorial Selma and another beautiful rose for a card. Just lovely!
Hugs...Leanne

Frann said...

Selma, your rose looks alive! Your tutorials are very helpful. You always include so many tips and techniques to make the flowers more realistic. I would love to see tutorials on the peony and the daffodil. I appreciate the effort you put into writing and photographing the steps in the tutorials. Thank you for doing them.

Jan Castle said...

Beautifully done Selma, and YES, your tutorial is VERY helpful...please continue doing them!! I would like to see an orchid and a pansy tutorial.
Thank you so much for the inspiration!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Anonymous said...

Hello Selma,
Your rose, as with all the flowers you make is just beautiful! I have got Susan's Paper Bouquet book and just love her work. Please don't stop doing your tutorials, I so much look forward to them and gaining inspiration from the cards you make - your site is always the first I turn to each day!
Please carry on with inspiring us all.
How is your daughter now, hope things are getting better for her?
With very kind regards,
Eunice {Auckland, New Zealand)

Carol Tummon said...

Selma,

Your designs just take my breath away. Each day when I receive your posts I make sure I am in a place where I can be really relaxed so that I can take in your beautiful designs. Thank you so much for your generosity to us all. You are a true diamond!
All the very best! - Carol

April said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial.

Myrna Marcano said...


Fabulous rose!
Thank you so much for sharing !

Myrna

Lynne said...

Your flower tutorials are so helpful. They make me want to get right up and go try again to make something so beautiful. You are absolutely the best flower maker and the tutorials are worth all the trouble for us not so adept here in craft land. Thank you.

Patricia said...

I really appreciate this tutorial. I love making flowers Roses in particular. I have just bought the Die set but have not used it yet. I think the packet they come in lacks some simple details for construction.
Your tutorial gives a great indication as to how many pieces are required to actually make the rose. Must go and give it a go.
Thank you

Patricia. xxx

Patricia said...

I really appreciate this tutorial. I love making flowers Roses in particular. I have just bought the Die set but have not used it yet. I think the packet they come in lacks some simple details for construction.
Your tutorial gives a great indication as to how many pieces are required to actually make the rose. Must go and give it a go.
Thank you

Patricia. xxx

Annie said...

Your tutorials are wonderful and this one is no exception, I love the pictures and the clear concise way you explain every step. Thank you so much for all the time and care you take to do this for us!

Rebecca Ednie said...

This was very helpful so I hope you make more! I'd like to see the violet or dogwood.

Pat Moore said...

The tutorials are wonderful and so helpful. I appreciate the time it takes to make them. Thanks.

Rozy said...

Oh Selma, your rose is stunning! Wow! I so appreciate your tutorials. I use your tutorials for all the flowers I make. Thanks so much for continuing to share them!

JANINE QUINN MIDDLESBROUGH, UK said...

Hi Selma, The rose you've made is stunning. I've recently bought the Sizzix small and large rose dies and struggle with putting the rose together using Susan's tutorial. So after reading your spin on how to construct the rose I will definitely give your method a go. You've made it look much simpler and easier to do. Can I say all your flowers are beautiful, and I'll be back for more tips and hints. Your tutorials are brilliant. Thank you. Janine (UK) X

Carol Tummon said...

Hi Selma,

This rose is so fantastic! I absolutely love it and thanks so much for writing the tutorial. I have yet to purchase some of Susan's dies but I keep looking for them in the UK. You must have had such a wonderful time meeting and talking with Susan. I am totally envious of course.
Thanks again for all your amazing posts and keep giving us a glimpse of your work.
All the best - Carol

Kittie said...

Great tutorial and gorgeous rose. I love Susan's dies as well.

Lorraine Mcneil said...

Wow Selma. I cant tell you how much I needed this. I have got quite a few of Susans dies now and to be honest, I've put them away because they frustrate me. I just love them, and her flowers are beautiful, but when I try and do them they just dont work. I've just found your tutorials and WOW. They are exactly what I need. Now I know how many petals to cut!! And the tip on the pliers? Priceless. Thank you so much. I'm so excited xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi, I cannot afford the dies or the $35 tool lit on my social security SO I printed the pattern from Google images - resize it til the petals are the right size .. I cut them out with scissors and use SPOONS for the initial cupping using water color to soften the petals - after they are a bit dry I use a regular fine sponge and a pearl bead attached to a stylus just poke the stylus through the hole in the pearl and work it -different sized pearls for different flowers- for the drying cups I use baby food jars that I got from a young mother/neighbor - they nestle in beautifully. its VERY time consuming but the reward is great - I have ALL the patterns saved that way - on thing I also do is use plain cardstock that is close the prevailing color I need - orange for lilies for example. I hope this helps all you elderly people who may not have the money to spare for the "parts"you can use what paints you have on hand mixing and blending and USE WATER for a watercolor effect - Your rose tips are EXCELLENT!!

Somerset Wedding Girl said...

These are so beautiful, I love the colours! Thanks for the tutorial!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails