Friday, May 22, 2009

Textured Sunset



This card is made with Rupa's "Guiding Light" set from GinaK Designs. Actually when I purchased this set I wasn't sure I could come up with many good ideas (after all, it isn't a flower set!!!). However, I just love working with it. I decided for a "different" texture I would do a background using masking tape. I tore tiny pieces of the tape and covered the whole piece of cardstock. I then rubbed my Barely Banana ink pad over the whole thing then repeated with Cameo Coral and then some Old Olive ink. Because the texture of the tape is rough, I then poured clear embossing powder all over it and then heated it up with my heat tool. It gave it a shiny look. That finished off my textured background.

I then black embossed the lighthouse. I cut it out using nestabilities. I left it in the frame while adding color. I masked off the lighthouse. I then used sponge daubers to create the sky to coordinate with my background, sponged on the ocean and the sand. I then used colored pencils to create an "old dirty" looking lighthouse and buildings. I used my Peerless Watercolors to create the faded red on the buildings. I added the birds to give it more dimension. I used Kitty Caracciolo's Cause a Scene beach set for the small birds and the sand. I cut a piece of the nautical webbing I purchased from Gina and ran it through my small adhesive machine so it would stick well to my background. I added a few nautical charms I had to the netting and three brads to the upper right corner. I don't usually get very excited about a card I make but I really like how this one turned out. I am going to save it and send it to my son who lives in San Diego.

8 comments:

redwasher1 said...

Selma wonderful card! Great minds think alike I'm working on the same theme LOL.

AKiteFlier said...

what a GREAT idea Selma - love that! And the colors are beautiful. So you DO make non-flower cards too. *grin* And equally as lovely.

A Consuming Passion said...

This is a beautiful Card Selma. The textured background is amazing. Hope your son enjoys it. Sue

Brenda said...

Amazing card!!! I love how the background came out. Outstanding idea and beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

Hi Selma,

I recognized the background paper technique right away from the class you taught when you still lived in Vancouver. I love this card, but then I always love your cards.

Dianna

Stamping in Asia said...

Love this card with the technigue you mentioned. I wanna try this out tomorrow on my cards as well and see how they turn out. It won't be as nice as yours I am sure. I have posted you something. Hang in there!! Nice weekend!!

Jose said...

Fabulous card, and thank you for describing how the wonderful background was done.
Jose

Carolyn Miller said...

Love the card!! You're very creative!

Carolyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails