Monday, May 9, 2011

Martha Stewart Border Tutorial


Beaded Arcs, Modern Garland, Deco Shells, Rings, Embossed Scroll, String Lace,
Scallop 3 Dot, Swirling Lace, Daisy Dot, Rain Drop, Double Loop


Yesterday I was cleaning out some of my drawers with "scrap" paper.  I had a lot of one inch strips of white card stock and decided to use some of my Martha Stewart border punches to create borders for later use.  For some reason, I decided to turn one around and see if I could create a border on both sides.  Wow!  It worked.  I have taken a picture of eleven different borders created with different Martha Stewart punches and thought I would share them with you. The above list shows name of each punch used in order going from left to right.

To create these perfectly matched borders, start with a 1" strip of card stock.  Line one end up to the end of the border punch.  Punch the length of the card stock then flip it over so you can start on the same end as you began -- see photo above.  You really need to make sure you start punching exactly the same spot to get the design to match up, so lining it up with the edge of the punch is an easy way to do that.  When you do line them up exactly the same on each side, the design will match perfectly.  I had so much fun creating something useful out of those small strips of card stock. 

 If you have a lot of those narrow strips of card stock you would like to use, hope you will find this tutorial useful.  If you would like to purchase any of the punches I used above, you can order them from Joan's Gardens.

I want to remind you to go over to Joan's Gardens and vote for your favorite tag.  I will be posting a new tag for the challenge that begins tomorrow.  Hope you will join us in the fun.,

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your idea! I had considered trying this idea after I bought one of the MS punches that punches both edges. After punching it several times I returned it. You couldn't remove the paper from the punch without tearing it!! Hope I just had a defective punch - if not I hope they work on the problem!!
Joyce Marcom

SiskiyouSue said...

These are wonderful! I've wondered how it would work, thanks for showing us.

Patti J said...

That would quite honestly have taken me at least a month to do! (and re-do and re-do!!!) These are so beautiful - thanks for sharing your secrets!

Dianna said...

Wow, you just keep amazing me. Only you could figure that out. Martha Stewart should hire you or you should at least get a kick back on all of her punch sales, because you have just now made them more useful.

Dianna

Debby said...

Selma these are terrific! Hugs

Sheila - Ginger said...

These are great Selma, many thanks for the tutorial.

Love Sheila xx

A Consuming Passion said...

I'd love half of the border punches you show here!!!! I have so much trouble with them not punching very well I've given up buying them I have to say!!!!
Great idea though!

Lynne said...

I have been doing this for a long time and it is a great way to use up scraps. I use them to decorate the inside of cards to match as well as decorating the outsides. Most of my punches work really well but there are exceptions. I tried sharpening them with both wax paper and foil but wasn't very successful.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

I have a huge collection of MS punches. Thanks for the tutorial. Does it work for all of the smaller border punches or only for certain ones?

Marg said...

What a wonderful idea and thanks for the visual about lining up the paper. It is so great to find other uses for all our supplies. thank you.

Betty Benton said...

TErrific idea, Selma! And a wonderful use of scraps.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Selma, this is pretty cool, you've done the work for us. You are the one of most talented ladies I know and creative. Please keep coming up with more ideas. We all love them.

Hugs,
Gretchen

Auntie Em said...

It's like getting more for your money from all these punches and a great way to use up those skinny strips of paper. How pretty they look.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

good idea and on the plainer ones you can run them threw your crimper and it gives you some more dimensions.. I went and played for awhile to see what I could come up with ... thanks for the tip.. Joyce

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing - very useful.

Peggy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails