Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Susan's Garden Lily - My Tutorial


I have wanted to create very realistic lilies and now we can do that with the new Sizzix "Susan's Garden" flower dies.  There are instructions in each package of flower dies by Susan to help you, but I thought I would show you my way of creating these gorgeous lilies.  Before I do that, I will tell you about the products I used on this card:

The background was embossed with the eBosser "Dotted Elegance" embossing folder.  The oval on top was embossed with the Nellie Snellen  "Oval Frame 1" and cut out with scissors.  The sentiments are from the new JustRite "Grand Sentiments" stamp set.  The tiny leaves behind the lilies were die cut using the Impression Obsession leafy branch die.   

When you purchase one of the Susan's Garden flower die sets, you receive all the pieces needed to complete the entire flower.  I used "Dried Marigold" Distress Ink, the Copic "Dark Red" marker, and Russet Red Flower Soft to create the lilies.  The important item in shaping the flowers is the new Sizzix Flower Tool Kit.  I used 60# card stock to create the flowers.

My tutorial for creating the Susan's Garden Lily.

Here is a picture of most the items I used to create two lilies.  

Start by  adding color to the base of each petal, add dots with the Copic marker, then use one of the larger stylus in the Flower tool kit to shape the petals.  Rub the stylus around in circles to loosen the fibers in the card stock and this helps to "cup" the petal for a realistic look.

Next use the self-closing tweezers, that come in the Flower Tool Kit, to pinch the base of each petal.  Place the tweezers right in the center, as shown, then use your fingers to push the edges up to the tweezers.

In this picture, you can see the difference in the petal (on the bottom left) that has not been shaped with the tweezers, and the rest of the petals.  These new tweezers have a very long, fine point and work really great for this step.

To create the stamens, I sponged the Dried Marigold Distress Ink on the bottom of the stamen, then used the Dark Red Copic marker to color the ends of each stamen, on both sides.  Susan doesn't do this in her instructions, but I used the scissors in the Flower Tool Kit and cut down the center of each die cut stamen to create a "thinner" stamen.  I think the stamen looks more realistic and you get double the stamens.  Add a little glue to one end of the stamen, then roll it using the self-closing tweezers.  Hold your fingers on the edge a few seconds to let the glue attach, then pull out the tweezers. Wipe off any glue stuck to the tweezers with a baby wipe.  Susan is coming out with some special Woodland Powders that can be used on stamens, but it will not be out for a while, so I used some Russet Red Flower Soft to create the "fuzzy" ends of each stamen.  Just add a tiny dot of glue to front and back of the tip of each stamen and dip it in the Flower Soft.  The Flower Soft pieces are kind of large, so after the glue was dry, I used the little scissors to snip off some of the extra "fuzz".  Set the stamen aside to dry.

To assemble the flower, use the Teflon Craft Mat that comes in the kit to work on.  Place a small amount of the "Crafter's Pick" glue on one corner, then dip the base of the petal in the glue and attach it to the green (6-point) base.  Glue every other point first, then go back and add the other three petals.  This gives you a nice layered look.  As you glue each petal down, press the end down into the base with the end of the smallest stylus for a couple of second to get it to hold to the base.  This helps prevent those petals from slipping around while working on it.  

This picture shows the flower once all six petals have been attached to the base.

 Once you get all the petals glued to the base, place the flower in the "Plastic Flower Pots" also a Sizzix Accessory created by Susan.  This will help the flowers to stay well shaped (cupped up), until they dry.  Sometimes the flowers tend to flatten out when left to dry without any support.  There are 5 of these trays to a package and are very inexpensive.  Add a lot of glue to the end of the stamen and stick it down in the center of the flower.  You might have to check it a couple of times, while it is drying, to make sure that it stays sitting straight up.  You can pull the stamens further apart (shape them)  once they are dried in the center of the flower.

While the flowers are drying, you can work on the leaves, which are included with this set.  I forgot to take a picture of it, but if you look at the second picture above in the tutorial, you will see the tools from the tool kit.  To shape these leaves, I first used that "loop" tool to draw down the length of the leaf - do not hold the leaf with your fingers. This will shape or slightly cup the leaf. You will do this on the soft shaping mat.  Next place the little green hard mat on the soft mat, then use the tool with the point on it - shown in the above picture.

Working on the backside of the leaf, draw a line down the center of the length of the leaf with the point of this tool facing up, but you are drawing with the very tip.  It leaves a very nice line.  If you were working on leaves that needed veins down the side, you would turn the leaf over and draw those lines on the front coming out from this center line.  The lily leaf does not need the lines on the front.

Once the flower is dry, you can add the leaves to the backside.  In this picture, the Flower Soft has not been trimmed down yet.  

Here is another picture of the finished flowers on the card.

When you have all the needed flower pieces and tools, it is very, very easy to create beautiful flowers.  These flowers are very dimensional and look gorgeous on box tops, frames, and even cards.  You can purchase Plastic Flower Domes, also inspired by Susan Tierney-Cockburn that will cover and protect your shaped flowers.

I hope this tutorial gives you some additional information to help you create your beautiful paper flower garden.  I would love to read your comments to let me know if my tutorials help you.   

Products used:

Susan's Garden "Lily" (658275)
Sizzix, Susan's Garden Flower Tool Kit (658437)
60# card stock
Sizzix Plastic Flower Pots, 5 pack (658435)
Crafter's Pick Glue
eBosser "Dotted Elegance" embossing folder
Nellie Snellen "Oval Frame 1" HSF004
JustRite "Grand Sentiments" stamp set (CR-03885)
Dried Marigold Distress Ink
R89 Dark Red Copic Marker
Impression Obsession "Leafy Branch" (DIE-055-N)

949505

17 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW Selma this is a beautiful card with gorgeous flowers! You make it look so easy! LOL! Thanks for taking the time to step us through the process ... you're awesome!
HUGS from OHIO!

Rebecca Ednie said...

Very nice tutorial. TY

Patricia said...

Oh, My! Word! That is a stunning Lily and Yes!, so realistic.
Thank you for the wonderful Tutorial.
I have the Rose Die coming but getting any of the others is so difficult they sell so quickly .
Happy Crafting

Patricia xxx

Rita said...

Magnificent card Selma and I absolutely adore the lilies. I received my tools and the large rose die to-day and cannot wait to have a play. Hugs Rita xx

Theresa's Studio said...

Beautiful card and lilies. You do make it look so easy. This is a wonderful tutorial as all your tutes are. I have learned so much about making flowers.....some day maybe I can put to practice.
Thanks a bunch, Selma!

UTs Hobby Time said...

Flowers look beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love ur lilies, I have this die but love your idea of cutting the middle and adding flower soft. I will definatly do this as it looks so much better. Thank you for ur tutorial, it has been so helpful

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, these lilies look sooo realistic and this is a brilliant tutorial! Thank you so much for all the additional details you have so clearly described, - it makes all the difference to the finished result, amazing and the card looks stunning!

Maryann Laursen said...

Such a stunning card here Selma, and a really awesome tutorial, very easy to understand and follow. You are soo talented and I really love your work, it´s sooo stunning and briliant always, and your sence forfr details amazing. I love it.

Lindah said...

Thanks Selma for another fantastic tutorial. I really appreciate you doing them for us, they are a great help. You are my favorite designer!
Love, love love your work.

Lindah said...

Thanks Selma for another fantastic tutorial. I really appreciate you doing them for us, they are a great help. You are my favorite designer!
Love, love love your work.

CraftinGranny said...

Your tutorials are so wonderful Selma and you make it look so easy.... Beautiful card my friend. Thanks for stopping by and the kind comment. "Hugs"

Janie Printz said...

Beautiful flowers & another wonderful tutorial. I love that you make them so easy to follow & once again you've turned a little paper, ink & dies into an amazing creation.
Janie

Leanne ... said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial Selma. I did purchase the lily at a stamp show two weeks ago. I haven't tried making a lily yet so this will help me.
Much appreciated.
Hugs...Leanne

Leanne ... said...

My lily is done! Thank you again Selma, without your directions I may have been a little lost. It turned out very nice. I'm happy with it and will make a card to put it on and post it to my blog soon.
Hugs...Leanne

Dorothy S said...

Gorgeous lilies! Thanks for taking the time to share your talent and also for sharing your expertise in the tutorial - so very clear.

Lorraine Mcneil said...

I am so excited about your tutorials using Susans dies. You make them so much easier to follow than anything or anyone else out there. I'm not saying I find them easy, but having your tutorials printed out next to me, really helps. Now I least I can practice with a step by step visual. I do think Susans (or sizzix) instructions lack detail. I'm waiting for her book so fingers crossed, I'll find that easier. Your flowers are stunning. Thanks so much for taking the time to do these tutorials. I know there are many crafters out there that are very grateful. Hugs x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails